Saturday 31 March 2018

Day 65/365: To see the unseen...

...whereupon one could spend years in Kyoto

From Hiroshima to Kyoto, back on the shinkansen. I've been to Kyoto several times and there is always more to see; even revisiting past places offers something new. 

Today though, one place I've not yet been but has been on my must-see list for years, Fushimi Temple, the temple grounds known for its hundreds of temple gates, lines up one after another, like tunnels of tangerine. 

I had in my mind it was some distance from the city centre, but turned out it is just a couple of train stops away. 

Lots of people, as always, on this fine day, but it didn't disappoint. Most interesting. 

The start of the walk

A peek in between 

Sponsors' names...

...and dates

Lantern 

Behind the scenes

In miniature

Side-on

Higashi Honganji

Conversation

Kyoto Tower in the distance

Full frontal

Kyoto Tower : old lantern

Reflective tower

Carping on

Backstreet blooms

Camellia

Isoism


Later in the afternoon, I took a bit a of stroll around the back of the hotel, to Higashi Honganji, one of the main temple in Kyoto (and with distant connections of sorts to my university, I recall). 

Interesting little back streets too. It is always worth going one street back from the main street in any city, you just never know what you'll find. 

[Camera : Canon EOS M5, 9.26am-10.17am; 5.26pm-5.45pm; 6 March 2018]