Tuesday 18 January 2022

A few little surprises...

...the original twitterers... (18/365, 18 Jan 2022)

Some days, doing this project, you never know what is in store and I guess that is the point of it too. Of course, last Sunday was exciting, spotting the kingfisher. Today however, in a short break between classes and meetings, and before sunset, I went down around the port and waterways, not far from where I went last week when I so hopefully hoped that a short walk each day would become part of the standard schedule. (Narrator: it hasn't, yet)

I wasn't looking for anything in particular...a little urban landscape perhaps...a few birds flying overhead, a few more ducks over on the water, in the fading light. OK, I thought, this will do.

Looking up

Plenty of ducks

But then, as I walked a little further, some of the local sparrows turned up for a bit of a play. Sparrows are actually still quite common in these parts. I remember them as a child in my grandmother's backyard for example (yes, a long time ago) but as others have commented occasionally via Australian twitter, we tend not to see them quite so much these days. In Brisbane, my hometown, I suspect they've been chased out by the noisy miners and perhaps even the rainbow lorikeets, as they have flourished in the suburbs.

But back to today's sparrows, it started with one or two then a few more flew in and then, well, a small inundation! I hope they weren't anticipating a few crumbs, couldn't help them on that score  I'm afraid. 

It started with one...


then two...

then there were three..

A little windblown 




Too much fun for just one photographic walk


I could have stayed there a little longer, they didn't fly off like I've seen sparrows do in other areas but, I had a meeting to get back to...so I went my way, and they theirs.

Today's cam was the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm lens.