Friday 28 January 2022

Marking time...

 ...time off marking... (28/365, 28 Jan 2022)

Time spent marking. Is it time well spent? I sometimes stop to think about the hours (equals days equals months equals years) that I might have spent marking. Then I pause and realise that would not be a positive thing to do. Certainly, it has its moments, its highlights but in more recent times, as the point of higher ed has changed, so too the point of marking. 

But I digress. 

We are deep in marking territory. It will continue through until final grades are uploaded in about ten days time. In the meantime of course, meetings continue, intensive classes continue, no rest really. For the fourth year students, it can come down to whether or not they will graduate or spend another semester at uni. For first years, they will see it as a measure of what 'uni life and learning' might mean. There is some pressure all around.

But mid-afternoon, and being Friday, I decided it would be worth a walk on the wild side, well, a walk down by the port. And what was this, about two weeks since I decided I should go for a walk each afternoon...what is this, my second or third one since then? Goodness. 

At least the water changes, and ebbs and flows. But the ducks were still there...

We all need that afternoon pause




(I wonder what this will look like in Spring)

The duck has...landed



Yep, water, whether the ocean, a river, a creek or the port...it gives me a second wind. It was back to the office to continue...answering emails. Have I mentioned answering emails? No? It is like marking really, about as productive ... but I'll leave that for another post.

Today was a stroll with the Canon EOS M5, 18-1050mm lens. I'm getting used to it.