Sunday 16 January 2022

Lovely day for a bike ride...

...ah, but for a bigger lens (16/365, 16 Jan 2022)

Until a few days ago, today was in the diary as another day at work, another day supervising entrance exams. 'Tis the season on the one hand, on the other, they seem to happen a lot. This weekend however, is the main 'central' exams, held all over the country at the same time. Students who don't make it through these ones have other opportunities to get into uni but these ones on January are the main deal. Sometimes hampered by snowfalls on the day, this weekend's exams were marked by an attack by a troubled youth yesterday outside Tokyo University, and this morning by concerns over a tsunami as a result of the Tongan volcano overnight. 

For me usually, this day is an early start, I need to be on campus by 7:30am for meetings and the like, but fewer students applying this year meant that for some of us, it was our turn for a break. Always grateful for an exam-free Sunday.

What to do. A beautiful blue sky day, no more ice left on the roads, some active supporting of 'Strawberry Day' yesterday (those of you who see my Insta will know what I mean...), of course that points to a bike ride doesn't it. And you would be right. Nothing too fancy, just to the park in the next suburb that has a nice track on the outside for joggers and bikers...just a pleasant ride really.

On these neighbourhood rides I tend to pack the medium Canon M5, lightish, compactish, reasonable zoom lens, I mean it's just a ride to the park, right? And so I went. 

They do have, at this park, a 'bird sanctuary' set up, mainly for photographers, a special construction that gives you a chance to look for birds in the park surrounds without looking too conspicuous. It wasn't my plan to go there today, being Sunday it is always fairly crowded and I didn't have the big cam. Instead, I continued around the corner and paused at a smaller part of the large pond in the park. It is pretty enough, has a few ducks, you get nice reflections...that would do I thought for today's efforts. 

Within a few minutes however, I noted that this little corner of the park was filled with people with binoculars, large zoom lenses and all looking upward. My first thought...I should have brought along the big cam, obviously. 

When I finally saw the object of their interest...gee did I regret not having the big cam with me... Nonetheless, here are today's pics, another lovely day, another pleasant ride. 

Parked the bike to watch the ducks

This little blue streak was creating all the excitement

Moments like these I wish...I had the bigger lens on me 😞

And then it came closer...


Allowed me to take a couple of pics


The ducks never disappoint


It flittered hither, it flittered thither

Waiting


More reflecting

Ducks and their underwater energy 

Strength

Before the kingfisher, I was admiring the blue sky

Departs

So much effort goes into these parks

Slick

Moon on the rise on the way home


Did you pick the object of our collective interest today? 😃 Not too hard really. Very exciting. As noted, today's cam (unfortunately) the Canon EOS M5, with the 18-150mm lens. Ah but to have had the 400mm on me, imagine. Next time!