Monday 10 January 2022

Back to basics ...

... before 'back to work' (10/365, 10 Jan 2022)

It is a public holiday today, Seiji no Hi (成人の日)or 'coming of age' day, a day celebrated for those turning 20 this year. Everyone gets out and about in kimono and special dress and though the last couple of years celebrations have been hampered by Covid, according to news reports, a lot of young people got out and about today. (I was lucky enough to see one of our neighbours stepping out to have her photos taken today too.)

I did mention the day yesterday. It used to be that 20 was the coming of age in Japan and it used to be that it was celebrated on 15 January but is now on this, the second Monday of January, to make a long weekend I guess. A few years ago, the age at which one could vote was lowered to 18 years (one of the reasons I came back to Japan this time was to look at the effect, if any, on voting in elections), from this year, a few more things have been added to the list of things people can do at 18 now without parental consent. Drinking, smoking and gambling remain at 20. I imagine it is going to take a little while to work out what can be done at different ages. 

Anyway, that's a long intro to today's story. I stayed home today, last day of our few days off, extended through to today because of the public holiday. It is back to the office tomorrow. This time last year, I thought I was headed into my last month of teaching (ever), Covid and the Australian government not allowing its own citizens back in put paid to that. This year, well, I still don't really know. I'd like to spend more time writing than teaching but we'll have to wait and see. I'd like to get home, but we'll have to wait and see. 

I felt it quite strongly today. The Japanese academic year goes from April to March, teaching finishes in early February. I kind of just wanted to soak up the last day doing, well, nothing really. I know I shouldn't have, I know there is lots to do. But some days...

It gave me a chance to get the project365 back to basics. When it originally started, and when I started back in about 2013 or 2014, I think the purpose was to look for one thing a day that made your day; one thing that was worth noting that might otherwise go unnoticed. And a lot of my photography has just that purpose. Sometimes it will show something that is unmistakably Japanese, perhaps other days just to show how much we actually have in common. I suspect as the year progresses, these posts will largely be just one or two pics. 

Today, I looked out and looked up. Those who follow my Insta account will know that I quite often takes pics of the moon. It is a challenge, it is a wonder and while we tend to focus on the full moon, I like it in its other phases too. As I looked up today, there it was high in the sky just as the sun was setting, just as the clouds were moving across, just at the branches were looking their barest in the twilight. 





In recent days, I've noticed some trees are starting to show the very early hints of buds...plums first and the cherry blossoms to follow. For now, today was a day to pause, and to prepare. Deep breaths, ready (no), set, go...

Today using the Canon EOS 90D, 100-300mm lens.