Tuesday 25 January 2022

Things I might miss...

... when getting home becomes a possibility... (25/365, 25 Jan 2022)

It is approaching two years since I've been back to Australia, almost two years of not flying after getting back about three times a year. The big return was supposed to happen last March, the end of the five-year-plan. We all know what has happened in the meantime...

Even now, I don't have a definite date to return. Staying on and extending my visa last year meant committing to the university for a further, well eight years. They were kind enough to extend that long. That's nice, but also awkward. We'll have to see what develops...the extended story is probably a post for the other blog. 

It has been a bit of a limbo period. International travel has been off limits but so too has domestic travel, trips for my research. But I am now getting that feeling of 'I might miss out on doing...' things. All the things I've taken for granted, I might just miss them when I return home. 

That kind of guided tonight's little excursion. I've recorded pics around the workplace but not much around the home place, apart from those walks to the shop through the park to buy the paper of course. 

Tonight I thought, what about the train station? I travel through there almost every day. What if I forget what it looks like?

Waiting

Just occasionally...

...two trains, the express and the 'stopping all stations'...

...arrive at the same time

OK, highly unlikely I'll forget. In my mind, when I close my eyes, I still see every metre of the 200km daily round trip I did along the Bruce Highway to travel to work and back. And that was for thirteen years.

Trainwatching, actually train watching, is quite a thing in Japan. Groups of enthusiasts take pics and post in incredible detail the trains they've seen. I'll never be quite that detailed, but I'll always appreciate the train system in Japan. It has served me well. 

Today's pic taken late, in a light shower which the weather bureau forecasts might turn into snow...tomorrow's pics? Cam was the Canon EOS M5 18-150mm lens. Yes, I planned to take something around campus but here we are.