Saturday 1 January 2022

Back on the bike...

 ...quite literally but also metaphorically (1/365, 1/1/22)

Welcome to 2022. And a reboot of sorts. I am thinking about reviving ye olde project 365, last seen here in 2018, 212 days out of 365. That was in Melbourne, on a work trip (remember those?) and I returned to Japan, only to be hit by an overwhelming workload. That will continue for a little while but in the meantime, I'd like to try and get back into writing and photographing again, in the hope that 2022 might be the year I get home, as was planned in 2021. 

But that wishful thinking aside, who really needs an excuse to get back into doing things that are fun. I haven't stopped taking pics per se. There are a few posts here when the photography led to an interesting comment or two to make; and I've been posting pics over on my Insta account (@psephyspix), if not every day then almost daily. 

It is easy to let work overtake everything, especially in the last couple of years when we have been living in fairly unprecedented times. So this will be my effort to craft habits I want to get into...more writing down the track. I figured it might be an opportune moment to document all that could be, should be, documented. It might be personal reflections, it might note particular issues of the day. It begins with the intention of being a daily, project 365, that is, 365 days of the year. It might at times convert to a project 52, a weekly version, or a project 12, a best of the month version...who knows. But I'll do my best, do what I can in these times. 

Today 1 January, begins with a bike ride. A sunny blue sky day in Tokyo, but remembering it is winter here...a ride in 4degC and a strong headwind, well, it is a chilly start. 

My trusty little two-wheeler

Pine nuts for New Years

From the pine tree

Always love the bark of the eucalyptus at home,
but the local version can be pretty stunning too

Dancing with sunlight


I enjoy riding my bike, I don't intend to go too far, today was from one neighbourhood park to the one near where I used to live, and a cycle around the backstreets, maybe 6-7km all up. Being 1 January, the roads near the Tokyo Daibutsu (our local Big Buddha) were rather crowded as people went to take their New Year's blessings. I'll do that in a couple of days time. 

In the meantime, let's see what the year has in store. 

Enjoy. 

(Today with the little Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm lens)