Sunday 30 January 2022

It is not over...

...until it is over... (30/365, 30 Jan 2022)

Just to remind you I am not at all original with my words. 

But no, although the semester teaching 'finished' on Friday, the marking still needs to be done. I think I might have mentioned the marking. But also between now and March and the start of the new academic year in April, we still have entrance exams. On Sundays. And we all have to attend, each with our different roles. Some have to invigilate. Some of us just have to spend time in the 'waiting' room, on standby in case anything happens. That was today. It is an early start, late finish. In between, while on standby we can get on with work which let's face it, at this time of year is kind of handy. Today it was reading the fourth years' final dissertations. 

We also get lunch...



Sunday morning view 

Lunch shall be served


And on the way home, I have decided what will become a new tradition (can you have a 'new' tradition?) and the end of each exam entrance day, a stopover at the lovely Kyoto tea house at the top of the department store at the transfer train station. Today was going to be a bit 'girigiri' here as we say--cutting it a bit fine. Under the current restrictions, places are closing earlier and may or may not serve alcohol. This lovely little cafe is currently closing two hours early, at 8:00pm, last order at 7:30. And no beer. (They have quite nice, unusual beer here too.) I arrived with seven minutes to spare, I know because the attendant said 'it is only seven minutes to last order'. 'It's ok', I said, 'I know what I want to try tonight'. And so there we are, made it in time for a piece of cheesecake. It was all I needed really. 


So photogenic...

Done. (Dessert, not the marking)

And even though I'd just made it in time, just after 7:30, she was back at my table, checking there was nothing else I wanted because it was 'last order' time... tempting, but maybe next time.

Today snapped on the iPhone 12 mini. Not much time for anything else really.