Wednesday 9 March 2022

A tale of two views...

...and a sense of gratitude ... (68/365, 9 Mar 2022)

With all that is going on in the world, and continues to occur, floods at home, war in Ukraine, and everything else, those moments you can pause and acknowledge your own circumstances with gratitude, can matter as well; for gratitude, for reflection, for knowing there has to be a better way and that you have an obligation to do what you can. Yesterday's women's march was a bit like that. Today was a dramatic contrast, but fundamentally the same in terms of appreciating the here and now. 

As an academic, my work focusses primarily on teaching, working with students, exploring with students; yes at times I interview people for research purposes but more often than not, I prefer unobtrusive conversations with people to engage with them about the things that matter most. It's not considered particularly 'proper' research by today's standards but it is what I do. Perhaps I should have been a journalist...

And maybe in another time I might have been (back in the day, 'ambitious girls' were offered teaching or nursing as secure professional options...). Part of my work, as it turns out, includes media interviews, radio and tv, on Japanese current affairs, particularly around election times. Part of my work over the years too, has involved speaking with journalists, sometimes as interviewer, sometimes as interviewee, sometimes just as a shared background briefing. 

Of course, twitter and similar social media platforms have heightened our respective engagements and so when we have a chance to meet in person, it is always a lovely opportunity. Today was one of those days. A foreign corro, back in Tokyo briefly, and lunch in Shibuya. Now, most sensible people have been, if possible, avoiding Shibuya station for the last...few years, shall we say, as it has been going through an enormous transformation. To be honest, as one who used to transit through Shibuya almost daily in student days, its current condition is some kind of hell. I generally pass through on the train each day, twice in fact, on the commute to and from work. But I'm sure it will be beautiful when complete...ahem.

On the 25th floor, lunch was served. Conversation was had. A recalibration of the enormous privilege I have in this job. Gratitude.

Lunch, I will miss these moments


From the 25th floor


Dessert is served

Back to the familiar, but I like it too


After lunch, it was back to navigate the station, onto work for meetings...reality returns, hard and fast. But once I got back to the office, I really couldn't help but compare the two views...I'll take them both, anytime, thank you.

Today was the trusty iPhone 12 mini, because I didn't want to appear too intrusive on the day.