Wednesday 30 March 2022

Portside also in the pink...

 ... and a whiter shade of pink too ... (89/365, 30 Mar 2022)

Today I had to head to campus for among other things, a meeting. As we get to the last day or two of the academic year, there are a few things to tie-up and sort out. (As I write, I have 25 hours left of the most onerous position I have held at a university ever...but more on that over on the other blog, when I recover physically and mentally.) 

In a brief moment between meetings, I was determined to get out there--waves broadly in the direction of the office window--to check the local sakura blooms. Much like yesterday, this part of town is rather uncrowded and so my accidental goal of seeking out uncrowded sakura appreciation spots is coming to fruition...

It started from the office, with a rather ominous-looking set of clouds on the horizon (despite, psychologically, the clouds on my horizon lifting), and then the 'view from above'. One view to take in of Tokyo in a time of sakura, is from several floors up, somewhere, anywhere, to really appreciate the pinks puffs of sakura throughout the city. 

Then it was down on the ground. Today's sakura, mostly, are yet another type, different from the ones we have seen here previously--yesterday's rich pink weeping version for example. It is, for an Australian, not unlike getting to appreciate that there are some 200 or so variations on a eucalyptus theme, and so it is with sakura. Anyway, today I noticed that the sakura mostly in this area are 'Oshima' sakura, mostly white and unusually the flowers and leaves coexist (mostly the flowers bloom, fade, fall and then the leaves come through--bit like jacarandas) and not only but also, the leaves on the Oshima sakura are often used in the sakura mochi sweets--one of my favourites, as it happens. 

Those clouds...

The view from above









Already over for some

Reflections







It's not really sakura viewing unless there are ducks on the water

Er, not sakura

Bunched up









There's a lot to take in in the Ariake precinct. I'd like to spend more time strolling. One day I will. Today aided by the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm, for commuting reasons.