Tuesday 8 March 2022

#IWD everywhere...

 ...including Japan, tonight in Shibuya... (67/365, 8 Mar 2022)

This is one of those posts that will warrant a more political post over on the other blog. International Women's Day. What is was about, what it should be, what it has become...what indeed is it all about? As a feminist now of several decades standing, sort of somewhere between the second and third wave of activists I guess, it is at least a day to reflect on the past, look to the future. 

I do feel a bit disheartened much of the time. It is not too much to ask for equality is it? ...

Anyway, this is the photo journal so let's think about today. It started with a seminar in Australia first up, followed by several meetings, all online (one of which, I have to say, given what today is, was chaired by a bloke and truly, if I had dared chair the meeting in the same way--I do have a role in the uni where I do chair three meetings regularly--there would have been uproar. There wasn't but still...) as well as a plan to attend the IWD Women's March in Tokyo 2022, held in Shibuya, which meant hopping on a train after the last meeting, maybe making it to the start, if I was lucky, or getting there in just enough time to watch them all reach the endpoint. In the end, (due in part to 'that' meeting), I opted for the endpoint, a small park near Shibuya station.

End goal


Observations while waiting 

Noted, while waiting

Signs of Shibuya











A bandana.
It is customary to make a monetary 'contribution' or 'compa' to the groups that organise these marches or demonstrations, to help them cover costs.
Tonight's 'compa' included this bandana, a worthy keepsake 


Well done to everyone who participated, there was diversity in age, gender, nationality. Women representing the 1970s second wave feminists, trans people, young and well, my age-ish. Glad I made the effort in the end, if only to show some solidarity. The March has been restricted in recent years due to Covid so I think people were glad to be out together protesting. 

It reminded me just how much Covid has restricted our movements. Hopefully we will be able to resume normal protests soon. But you will note...we are all still wearing masks here. 😷

Tonight a combination of the iPhone 12 mini and the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm lens. Some pics deliberately blurred for 'movement' effect. 

And, although I caught the train down, I noticed that the bus stop where we finished up was the stop for a bus going direct to Ikebukuro, my transfer station. Why not, I thought, for something different, so home I went, on the bus. Nice scenic view too.