Tuesday 22 March 2022

And so it snowed...

 ... and the temperature dropped... (81/365, 22 Mar 2022)

...but as I write, we still have power. According to the latest breaking news, Tokyoites have indeed taken requests to be careful with power and the grid has dropped from 107% overcapacity a couple of hours ago to 92% just now. We might get through. I have one light on, the tv (a small basic one), the fridge of course (a small one) and at present phone and PCs are plugged in to keep the charge up, just in case. I have an extra layer or two of clothes on and I don't use the aircon/heater very much anyway, and it is not on at the moment. I hope I am doing my bit. I stayed home too, except for a short trip to the shops, so I tried not to use too much power. 

Interestingly as the news programs started, they indicated that were working with reduced lighting in the studio. And indeed, the supermarket lights seemed to be switched to low power, or its equivalent. It is a bit like the community response to Covid over these last two years, which I will write about at length someday over on the other blog. We are still wearing masks, sanitizing and, where possible, distancing (the latter not very well it has to be said) but the response in Japan has been interesting compared with other countries...but I digress.

Sadly, for people like me who greatly anticipate snow, today's was not the type of snow to settle and blanket everything, which then needs to be photographed by this Queenslander like some rare event. No, it was the type of snow, that although more than mere sleet, was quite visible to the naked eye as it was falling, but simply melted on hitting the ground, or any other surface. Note how I am becoming quite au fait with matters snow... hahahaha.

Looking across to the park, watching the snow fall

There is snow there...

Thus, without the likelihood of capturing fairytale-like snow scenes, I set out to do the grocery shopping, in the snow although it had turned to rain on the walk home. 

On the way back, those lovely flowers planted by the local garden centre I noted last week, were covered in raindrops, possibly briefly snowflakes. If I can't get snow, then one of my next favourite things would be raindrops on roses...or any flower really. 








So on this snowy, wet and cold day, 22-3-22 (for those who like their numbers), it was the flowers that came through in the end.

Two pics from the park on the Canon EOS 90D, 100-300mm lens, and the roadside flowers courtesy of a hardworking, in the cold, iPhone 12 mini.