Monday 7 March 2022

When in Kyoto...

 ...'how to' not do 'Kyoto' ... (65/365, 6 Mar 2022)

So, for those of you following on from yesterday, I made it to Kyoto to stay overnight. And yet, my plan was not to take in the almost tourist-free sights (prior to Covid, the must-see places were so overcrowded, that tourism operators were appealing for ways to regulate visitor numbers), and I never get bored with visiting all the places in Kyoto (though my favourite, Ryoanji, the 'stone garden' temple is currently closed for renovation), but a few weeks ago, I accidentally realized that Lake Biwa, or 'Biwako' in the neighbouring prefecture of Shiga is literally two stops away from downtown Kyoto. Two. Stations. It was a revelation (but also a tad embarrassing, how did I not know this...). So that was my plan. It is Japan's largest, oldest lake, famous in history and literature and I just don't know why I hadn't been there before. 

I set off in the morning, two stops away, and reached the town of Otsu at the southernmost point of the lake. A ten minute walk from the station and I was there. Looking at various websites, there are lots of interesting places to visit, especially higher up in the mountains, views and outlooks to admire but, as it turned out, the weather wasn't quite ideal and indeed, many of those places are on limited trade until it warms up a bit, around April. 

So, what to do? Well, of course, one strolls along the waterfront to find a Mississippi paddleboat, the Michigan, with New Orleans trad jazz playing, about to set off for an 80 minute tour of the lower end of the river. Of course one does. Nothing like a day of traditional Japanese sightseeing that takes in a Mississippi paddleboat. Oh wait...





























So it turns out, it is 40 years since this boat, the Michigan arrived in Otsu, direct from the Mississippi, yes, it is a genuine article, and it turns out that this area has a sister-city relationship with Michigan in the US, so it all began to fall into place. I had the upper outer decks to myself while everyone else on board sat indoors eating the food from the shops and bars. I guess we all seek our own authentic experiences in different ways...

Little bit more of a walk around Otsu, then back to Kyoto mid-afternoon, in time to catch an early train back to Tokyo (and maybe see Mt Fuji) or stay on for a few more hours and look around a few Kyoto spots...














Well, dear reader, I opted for the early train home because now that the travel outside Tokyo 'hoodoo' has been broken, I decided I can come back here again later. And we were rewarded with a lovely view of Mt Fuji (though I think I was the only person on the train paying any attention to it)...which after the rain, sleet and snow at Biwako, I had my doubts.

It is also a good lesson for tourism. Yes, there are places we *all* want to see, experiences we *all* must do, but sometimes it is just a matter of moving your finger on the map a little to the left or right, to find a similarly memorable, but different, experience. 

Today's snaps on the iPhone 12 mini and the Canon EOS 90D with mid-range 24-105mm lens.