Monday 7 March 2022

It is a long way to go...

 ...for pictures at an exhibition ... (64/365, 5 Mar 2022)

But it was well worth it. This weekend saw me hop aboard the Shinkansen for the first time since...since before the Covid times. The goal was to reach Osaka to see a photographic exhibition by Australian-Japanese photographer Mayu Kanamori. We have followed each other on social media for some years and met up once at a conference a few years ago too. Her work looked at some important historical aspects of the Australia-Japan relationship that overlap with my work in places so that was enough of a reason. But more so, I know Mayu's work to be sensitive and thought-provoking and as a photographer of sorts myself, (rank: amateur) her work is also inspirational. 

And then there was the ride on the Shinkansen. And into parts of Osaka I've not been either. (The 'rivalry' between Tokyo and Osaka parallels the Sydney-Melbourne rivalry up to a point...and I'm just not that into Osaka. I'm usually just passing through on the way to somewhere else.) So the plan was to find my way to the exhibition and then make my way back to Kyoto for the evening before heading back to Tokyo on Sunday. 

And I'm here to say, it all went to plan. I found my way out the to the exhibition and it was truly magnificent. Absolutely worth the trip I think. Although photos weren't allowed inside the rooms, there was a catalogue available which will remain a great record. 

It is funny how you can find your way around unfamiliar places these days with a computer in your pocket. Once upon a time it would have been paper maps and probably asking lots of questions along the way. 

Obligatory Shinkansen lunch and reading material


It was an interesting part of Osaka

An actual wattle tree, not far from the campus

The cat posed perfectly at the entrance to the campus of Osaka Uni where the exhibition was held



Example of the stained glass windows in the building



On the way back to the station, a 'snapshot' of another time


You can get to Kyoto from Osaka on a regular 'suburban' train, which is what I set out to do after the exhibition. I had a plan, when I reached Kyoto, to do something I should have some years ago...and this weekend was to be 'the chance'. Tune in to tomorrow's report to see what happened. Meanwhile, I am much more familiar with Kyoto than Osaka, I quite like it actually and this had been about three years or so since my last visit.



Hotel art

But first, dinner (which was also lunch)



Yes, second tempura meal in a week but when you can, you do.





And then, like a tourist, Kyoto Tower...

The Kyoto Station penguins...no I don't know why either

When in Kyoto...the Kyoto Shimbun


And interesting side note about escalators: people in Tokyo stand to the left on escalators, people in Osaka stand on the right...something you have to remember so you don't stand out, like a Tokyoite. And the escalator from the train platform where the Osaka train arrived? Yes, everyone stood to the right, even though we were in Kyoto, at last. All the rest of the time, it was back to standing on the left. Fascinating to watch the subtle cultural signals. (OK, maybe fascinating only to me...)

Photos here taken with the mini-computer in my pocket, iPhone 12 mini. Amazing really.