Saturday 19 March 2022

Graduation day...

...they made it through... (76/365, 17 Mar 2022)

Graduation Day. Probably one of the key events in the academic calendar. OK, who am I kidding, it is probably my favourite day in the calendar. The last couple of years, under Covid, have meant some restrictions have been put in place, a lot of the pomp and ceremony toned down (or out), the various departments and faculties spread out over several ceremonies instead of just two. It has also meant that parents, friends and family have been limited to observing the day online. But at least we manage to get some kind of formal recognition happening for the students at the end of their four (or so) years.

Today's graduation ceremony though was a bit touch and go for other reasons. At about 11:45 last night, just as we were going to sleep, or were sound asleep, or heading home from work, much of northern Honshu, the 'Tohoku' region, including Tokyo, was rocked by a large earthquake, not as strong as the one 11 years ago but unnerving nonetheless coming about a week after the 3.11 observations. Sadly some deaths were recorded along with over 200 people suffering injuries and some major infrastructure damage as well, being those students living up north who might have been planning to travel to Tokyo in the morning for the afternoon ceremony, had their plans thwarted. 

Here in my apartment, it was quite a long shake, mild at first but building up, strong enough to make me get up (I hadn't quite gone to sleep having not long got home from my long day in front of the screen--see yesterday's post), and just steady a few objects that were shaking quite a bit--never putting myself in danger, it must be stressed and I have my emergency backpack prepared. It was sufficiently large for the public speaker system to trigger its warning as well. In the light of the morning, the damage was more apparent...but the ceremony must go on...

And so it did.

Japanese graduation ceremonies here are quite different from those in Australia. Here, one student stands as the representative of the student body and receives the degree 'on behalf' of everyone (who receive their individual degrees afterwards). One student also gets to speak on behalf of the student body, and proudly this year, that was someone from my seminar group, a really close group despite half their degree spent in Covid isolation.

Although I am now used to the Japanese approach, I must say, I do prefer the Australian style of each student walking across the stage to personally receive their degree. 


Couldn't get everyone together at the same time, and this was the closest we got.
There were 14 students in the seminar group this year.




Blossoms, just in time


Album due out later this year 😂








It is a day for students to dress up and share memories, cement friendships (most will be lifelong friendships, that's how the Japanese seminar system works), and promises to meet again. And we have promised to meet again, in the short term when the Covid restrictions are lifted finally on 21 March (though masks are still required), and one day in the future, in Australia--now I'm looking forward to that!

Also, today was my last ceremony as Head of Department, I hand that over to my successor starting 1 April. And, the less said, the better, suffice to say...I might have a bit more time for more academic things.

Most pics here today on the iPhone 12 mini, and one or two others shared from students.