Tuesday 10 April 2018

Day 99/365: Seeing the light...

...at the other end of the day

A few months ago, before I was appointed to my new position, I volunteered to participate in one of our programs to accompany students on a field trip as part of their studies. The purpose of the field trip is to apply their studies while volunteering in some capacity in a community, usually way outside their comfort zone. I think it helps to add another dimension to their uni experience. We are going to Ishinomaki in Miyagi Prefecture, one of the communities affected, actually devastated  by the earthquake and tsunami in 2011. Today was the long-aago scheduled meeting with the community representative...

However...

Since taking up my new role, I've had several, nay, hundreds, nay maybe not quite hundreds but lots, of meetings added to my schedule. Today was a clash of schedules--the first of, I expect, many. It meant going to the other campus and participating in the meeting via remote camera. It tends to work quite well. 

Eventually, meetings (plural) done, I had to return to my home campus, 90 minutes away. (I also needed to do a trial run; in a couple of weeks, when classes start, I have one class out west in the morning and have just a couple of hours to get back and prepared for two afternoon classes at the other campus. Provided the trains run on time, I should make it.)

All that to say that all I could do today was marvel at that particular light we get occasionally at sunset time...the faux church below caught my eye first...

let the light in

Sunset 1

A little wider

Clouds, of course

Clouds, smouldering 

One minute later

Sail away


And then I watched the sun set on the other side of the building. No filters or tricks were used, just the cam on auto. I was just a bit intrigued by the different rendering of the light...

Every day needs a little intrigue. 

[Camera : Canon EOS M5, 5.52pm-5.57pm; 9 April 2018]