Saturday 9 April 2022

Blue skies and shoyu ice cream...

 ... it can only mean one thing: a Kawagoe day trip...(98/365, 8 Apr 2022)

By day trip, I mean just 30 minutes along the train track, in the opposite direction to that which I usually travel to work. It doesn't hurt to break habits sometimes.

Actually, earlier in the week, noting that I didn't have appointments booked in Friday, and it being the last Friday before classes commence again (day 1, first up, 8:50am, for the next 14 weeks or so...) I thought I might use the opportunity to head out to the coast, Ichinomiya, the venue for the Olympic surfing event, just to catch up with a few people. It has been a bit difficult to get out there during Covid, and wanting to avoid the usual weekend crowds, I thought Friday might be a good day. During the week though I discovered that the National Championships were being held which, you would think, would be the ideal opportunity to visit...unfortunately events like this are still being held without spectators so I figured it might be a bit tricky to get much done. (There is much to talk about with surfing and the Olympics, I will publish that elsewhere in time.)

Anyway, with the day being what it was, (and significantly the last episode of the current morning drama serial--not to be missed--actually it peaked yesterday, but I digress) it was too nice to stay in, given that I have to travel to campus tomorrow for an Orientation Day for students...again.

I toyed with travelling to a few places. Down to Yokohama, or back to Chigasaki, maybe the last of the sakura around the Imperial Palace, out to the large National Park at the end of the train line? In the end, I opted for Kawagoe, 'Little Edo' as it is known for having kept its olde world (Edo era) atmosphere. And it has gained in popularity since I first visited many years ago so a weekday was going to be less crowded than the weekend. And blue skies, perfect background for the pics. And the 'shoyu' ice cream? Shoyu, it is Japanese for soy sauce, yes that's right, soy sauce flavoured soft ice cream. It is well worth the trip there for that alone.
































Stepping out today and wearing out the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm. Lovely day out and with about 12,500 steps, one little ice cream won't hurt, will it. 😁