Monday 4 April 2022

Puddles and muddles...

 ... and wintry days... (94/365, 4 Apr 2022)

Yesterday was a day at home. Today was, like yesterday, wet but I think wetter, rainier and colder. If I avoided going out to do some necessary grocery shopping yesterday, today I couldn't put it off any longer. Today was also the special welcoming ceremony for first-year students. The ceremony part has been rather tempered by Covid these last three times. Pre-Covid, I attended in my role as Dean of International Relations, the last couple of years as Head of Department; so quite honestly when I woke up this morning with rain and cold, and I had the option of attending in person as a mere member of faculty, or, in observing Covid precautions, watch it online. With this newfound freedom of choice, I opted for the latter. Slack of me on the one hand, but cautious me was being cautious... or so I think. 

The ceremony was done by about lunchtime. The rain hadn't stopped though so I still needed to go out. Shopping, rain and cameras don't really mix but being the end of sakura season (brought on a few days prematurely by the rain and wind, I reckoned there might have been a few interesting wet petal scenes to try and capture (without catching a cold).

So, rugged up like it was winter all over again, off I went. And yes, in one of the little parks along the way, as I expected, a few puddles of petals... they do say if while sitting under the sakura supping sake, a petal falls in your cup, good luck shall follow. We haven't been allowed to hold hanami parties over the last three seasons now, thanks Covid, so I'm hoping that a petal landing on your umbrella (last pic) brings something positive. 😁








This might be the last...but with sakura, it is not really over until all the petals have flowed down the storm water drain. 

With the iPhone 12 mini today because the weather wasn't really fit for very much else.