Sunday 10 April 2022

And another start to the new year...

... Orientation Day part 2... (99/365, 9 Apr 2022)

Just under a week before classes commence, today was another 'orientation day' for new students but whereas the one earlier in the week was all the 'technical and administrative things you need to know', today was more a 'meet the staff, a few senior students, and generally just a chance to chat among yourselves in your new first year seminar group'. I think we overdo it all if you ask me but then, I just work here. 

I figured if I have to be at work on a Saturday, I might try and get some of the tulips along the promenade. The wind was blowing a fair bit so I wasn't sure how it would go but after the meet and greet ended (and I sat in my office again with the realisation--again--wait, I don't have to hang around here, I don't have mountains of emails to deal with anymore), I went via the promenade on the way back to the station.

I expected it to be more crowded than it was being a Saturday, but there weren't many people around at all. The petals are starting to fall though so it won't be long before the tulips fade for another year. I tried to capture the tulips bending in the wind, I think it has come through in a few shots. 
















There's always one...



I recall the first tulips I saw and liked were ones at Floriade in Canberra, a wonderful flower festival (that is how it started out) and it was so long ago I think the photos I have were taken using film (remember that?). But there was something about the way tulips photograph, they somehow seem to define themselves against the background, a kind of 'cut out' montage version, though none of these pics have been digitally manipulated in any way. 

Once the tulips are over, we have the azaleas --they are already budding in their bushes along the path on the walk to work... there is always something to capture.

Today with the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm, but I really should be trying out the macro lens. I know I said that recently, but I really should.