Saturday 2 April 2022

Follow the hashtag...

... to a Tokyo windmill?... (91/365, 1 April 2022)

As I noted yesterday, today is the start of the 'new year', academically, financially, and all the students who graduated last month, set off in their new positions. Similarly, at the university today, we had the new year presentations, the university plan, new staff inducted and, I became just an ordinary member of the faculty, no longer head of department, quite relieved. (I retain my exec position however which meant I had to attend today's presentations in person--the last two years being online.) Next Monday, it is back to the other campus to meet and greet new first year students...but that is next week.

For now, for today's pics, my first thought was to check on the tulips around the promenade at work since the sakura are on their way out (lots of wind and rain last night saw to that). While I was flicking through Insta, I came across a hashtag, #花と光ムーブメント, (flowers and light movement), a bit of a light show in a park not far from home that features tulips...and a windmill! April fools? Well, as it turned out, not really. 

The park, funnily enough, one I have been intending to visit since, well forever really. Back when I lived in a neighbouring neighbourhood, one of the local buses went from the station to this particular park; I was a bit intrigued by the name, 浮間 'Ukima', and always wondered what sort of place it would be. While I had in mind the buses I could catch, as I checked the directions on the transport app and it turned out the train I catch to work (and back sometimes) actually stopped at the station where the park is located, just a few stops past where I usually alight. I was meant to go today, obviously.

Park entrance

Actual windmill, with sakura




A variety of birdlife

Twilight light...





Sakura arbor

Lost, to be found

So, tulips & sakura

Petal carpet (just like the jacarandas at home)

Just a bit early for the full bloom




And again, if there are no ducks present, is it really sakura viewing?





Lots of people with their pets




This seemed to be the 'money shot', for the hashtag

Spotlight on sakura



The illumination was meant to be the feature, quite a few people turned up but I think this place can still be included in my 'places to see sakura without the huge crowds'. The tulips weren't quite full bloom, but the atmosphere was interesting enough. It is actually quite a decent-sized park, which walking around this evening pushed my daily steps over the 10,000 mark. I reckon I might be back...might even ride the bike this far.

Heading back, it was a choice of two buses, or a quick ride on the train, two stops down to a station I use regularly, and home on the bus from there. So I did, stopping just long enough for dinner. 

Strolling today with the medium cam, Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm, as night fell and the lights came on.