Tuesday 5 April 2022

Sweeping up the sakura...

 ... now we are tiptoeing through the tulips... (95/365, 5 Apr 2022)

Growing up and living in the parts of Australia that I did, the 'four seasons' were never really that clearly defined (except for a stint in Canberra). No real 'autumn leaves', no blossoms, as such; the closest I suppose we get is jacaranda season in Brisbane, which I have long-held we should revere in the same way the sakura is celebrated here in Japan... but I digress.

When I first arrived at this campus back in 2016, I was a little surprised that one of the main events in March/April was the tulip festival...wait, I thought, shouldn't that be sakura festival? Well yes, and no. This time of year is reserved for turning the grassy knolls of the promenade into waves of tulips, and despite the strong association initially with The Netherlands, I have come to look forward to them each year. Indeed, they have been the subject of posts on this blog in past years, and here we are again.

They are colourful, differ in their bloomage, their shape...and they attract all sorts of visitors. The sakura petals have all but fallen, the trees are changing to green as the leaves replace the blossoms, but on the ground, tulips. 
















Popular on Insta...





Not tulips, but the training ship left port today...off on an adventure 


This probably won't be the only tulip post...apologies in advance. They are as exciting to photograph as the sakura.

Today out and about with the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm lens, though I feel a macro lens exercise coming up soon.