Saturday 16 April 2022

Another fuji...

 ... the lovely wisteria ... (106/365, 16 Apr 2022)

I have mentioned elsewhere I think, that usually on early Saturday morning (around 2:00am) I join a virtual reading group hosted in New York. It is Friday lunchtime their time. It has become a habit, such a habit that this morning, when the group was on a break, I still woke up around 1:45 anyway. I read a little to myself. 

So Saturdays, where possible, I try to keep fairly low-key. About the only thing I had in the way of a plan was an art exhibition/sale at the department store down the track. I checked the website first...nice works, well out of my budget however. I also had in mind that tomorrow I'm planning to head down to the surf club, so rest up. 

As I look over this blog, and my insta gallery, I notice that flowers are a pretty common theme. Kind of unintentional but then as a subject, they make for pretty interesting photographs. And there are so many here. And seasons, clearly marked by whatever is flowering at the time. (In contrast, I think most pics at home tend to be of the birds around the place...) It also serves to remind that my photographic subjects in Japan have changed over the years. When I first came here, of course, photographing children in all their joy was fairly commonplace. Different environment these days of course and thirty-plus years ago, pics were developed, printed and stuck in photo albums, occasionally framed and put on a wall at home (I still have a few of those). So it is flowers, buildings and ports, just to stay on the aafe side. (Waves, sand and shells tomorrow I'm expecting.)

Today the cyclone cleared off fairly early, so a finer day than forecast. I was keen to pop down the road to check out the wisteria trellis I noticed in the small park the other day. I saw a flash of purple yesterday, so I was bit hopeful.

I didn't see the bee until later...









No, not wisteria but irresistible subjects nonetheless, a species of poppy considered invasive 


And it is also season of the dogwoods


It is a start...it is wisteria season, more to come. And wisteria in Japanese is 'fuji', not to be confused with the mountain...different kanji. Still, the flower is revered in Japanese art and culture, a famous kabuki character, 'Fuji Musume' (wisteria maiden), I was given two dolls by friends when I departed Japan the first time. I think they are still in the house.

And because the trellis is about two metres in height, I figured it was a good chance to take the Canon EOS 90D, 70-300mm lens for a walk.