Monday 23 May 2022

Add a little jazz to your day...

 ... another festival returns... (142/365, 22 May 2022)

I was just saying last Friday, how nice it is, if not still a little cautious, to have outdoor festivals starting to return. Japan does a good festival...

And after Friday's food festival (those passionfruit by the way were divine), and the no show of The Australian #democracysausage festival, it was nice to head out to my local hub station, Ikebukuro, where they were holding the annual Jazz Festival, for the first time in a couple of years. A nice way to round out the weekend where Australia elected a new government, and a certain vitality had returned to politics, or so it seems, let's see.

But let's return to the Ikebukuro Jazz Festival. It is free, it is on the streets and in the arcades. It includes professionals and amateurs and draws some really healthy crowds. And some very good music. I say this in the context that Tokyoites who don't live near here tend to bag Ikebukuro as Tokyo's country bumpkin, they fear its grand train station (very easy to navigate, once you know how), and you know, just like every big city anywhere, it has its reputation, its image, its fans, its detractors. (Just like my home town Brisbane, you're either north or south of the river.)

Anyway, I thought heading out late Sunday afternoon, might give me some clear air for pics...not so, it was quite crowded until the end. Not to worry, the atmosphere was good, the vibe great and made me realise, I need to get my instruments out again. 



Main stage



Local characters








Pics on the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm lens, thinking it would do, but I should have taken the 70-300mm lens, which I did contemplate...oh well.