Thursday 5 May 2022

To amend, or not amend...

 ... that is always the 3 May question... (123/365, 3 May 2022)

...and most of the other days of the year. 

I promise I will keep this to the photographic aspects of the day, the subject matter really belongs on the other blog, and the content of one of my books (forthcoming). Indeed, I have covered today's Constitution Day protest and march (not strictly called a protest, more a gathering, but I digress...and will take that up on the other blog) in previous years, but this is the first one in three years, after sitting it out online for the last two years. The park (an emergency assembly area usually--kind of appropriate really) is not far from the campus so it is just like going to work...just what you want in the middle of seven-day holiday.

I like to turn up to observe, maybe fall into conversation (equally, attendees are always interested in why I am there), to get a sense of what people are thinking, versus the direction the government of the day. It is part of the reason I found myself here in Japan again six years ago. It is how I do my research.

New sign
















Numbers were way down compared with the last in-person event, but the passions remain, particularly in the context of the current war in Ukraine. Most people want peace, mostly governments want to send their people to war. There is a mismatch, really. 

Today's pics on the middie Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm just because I wasn't sure I was up to carting the big cam, 90D. (I nearly said 'guns'...how normalised we become, even peace activists. How embarrassment.)