Saturday 18 June 2022

A stroll portside...

 ... you just never know what you'll see... (168/365, 17 Jun 2022)

One thing I love about water--whether the surf, a lake, a river, or portside, near where I work--is that every day is different. In recent times followers of this blog will appreciate, I've taken to going to the station the long way, down to the waterways that form part of the ports complex. I generally go with the reflections on the water, the birds that inhabit the area, whatever takes my fancy, or whatever the lens leads to, if the truth be told.

Today in a moment standing by waiting for a shag I spotted from afar to return a bit closer, I was just staring at the rocks, staring and thinking, in deep contemplation, I like to think anyway. Then I saw some movement. Slater-type bugs, crabs...things I've not noticed before. 

And then as I was walking back around the pathways on the way to the station, again looking at the reflections, the rubbish (sadly), the flotsam of the port...I noticed what I thought was a plastic bag--turned out to be one of several jellyfish, or kurage, as we call them here. I should not have been surprised to see jellyfish in the waterways here, and yet, there I was, somewhat surprised to see them here...just like the crabs. 

It was the incoming tide so they moved along the seawall pretty swiftly ... what an interesting way to finish the teaching week. 




Life in the cracks of the rocks


Small colony










Walking towards the waterways today, I was passed by a fellow riding a bike along the path. Nothing unusual about that really, until he did a swift U-turn, came back in my direction, looking pretty aggressive and took his phone cam out...as I wondered what I did to upset him. Turned out he had obviously spotted the little snake that I then noticed, passing between us on the path...close encounter! I'm going to have to be more careful next time. I should know better as an Australian too...

Taken on the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm lens.