Wednesday 15 June 2022

Another day on the hustings...

... more details on the other blog... (162/365, 11 Jun 2022) 

If it's Saturday it must be...

In the run up to the July Upper House election, I'll be spending most weekends out and about following politicians, candidates and their party followers as they travel around convincing the electorate to vote. This, dear reader, is my day job. Some days I wonder how dod I get here, but here we are. Most of the political details, I'll share on the other blog, whereas this will remain a peek into the ordinary day on the life of an amateur photographer. 

Today was a bit of a hike up the rail line, to Omiya in Saitama usually the station where I change to the Shinkansen when I head north to Sendai and onto Ishinomaki (on the list to visit soon). 

So it was interesting to actually go outside the station. To be honest, I was expecting a few hundred people maybe assembling in the area outside the West Exit, so I didn't worry about the big zoom, I thought I would be able to get close enough with the trusty M5. And it was raining, and I'm a bit reluctant to take the big cam out in the rain, if I can avoid it. 

Well it was quite a surprise, an estimated 4-5000 people were assembled around the walkways, over two levels, and the campaign truck was positioned quite a distance away. There was a heavy police and security presence as well, more so that Reiwa last week, indeed, a bigger crowd than last week too. 





Important research sub-project: soft ice cream.
This is (was) the *best* I've ever had; that cone is black,
made by roasting the cone with bamboo coals


Afterwards, back to Ikebukuro to do a few things, including a late lunch. This might just be the pattern over the next few weeks--on the hustings followed by a sit-down late lunch. The blog might just get a bit predictable. 

As I mentioned, more 'politics' of the day over on the other blog, psephy's~ologies

Today's cam, the hard-working EOS M5, with 18-150mm lens. (Should have prepared the bigger cam... next time.)