Monday 6 June 2022

When it is a fine line between work...

 ... and the weekend... (155/365, 4 Jun 2022)

It may surprise people to know but I have, now over many years, encountered students taking politics subjects, or enrolled in politics departments even though they declare they have no interest in the subject. I can sympathise a little, I didn't seriously take up interest in the study of politics until the second year of uni, a political theory course and then a course in Chinese politics (so why Japanese politics you ask? Well, I had already invested a year or so in studying Japanese language so kind of continued on that path.)

I do like to encourage students nonetheless by telling them they just haven't found what interests them (politically) yet and while not 'everything' is political, almost everything is, in one form or another. Something clicks eventually and they find their niche. 

I often use my own activities as examples of how you can become engaged in political issues, like today. During the morning, over in the next suburb, the local community was hosting a multicultural festival highlighting the refugee and migrant issues in Japan. Now Japan doesn't have a great record on these issues but in recent weeks, the societal push to accept Ukrainian refugees has brought these issues to the fore. The Festival today was, typically, food and culture, music and a few speeches. 

I met some lovely people, enjoyed the music presentations, and wandered around for a couple of hours taking it all in. Since a number of the participants have precarious residential status we were asked to not take photos of people. Fair enough. People from Ghana, Myanmar, Nepal, and Kurds shared their culture and wares. The organisers were even giving away bags of veggies--I now have to find creative ways to cook with negi...

It probably sounds twee to say so but really, why do we have so much trouble coping with people from other nations, why so we stigmatise them for their circumstances rather than overcoming prejudices to work together as one...I guess that is why I keep doing what I do.







I had to depart a little earlier than planned however, for downtown in Ikebukuro, the party led by Yamamoto Taro, a politician whose career I have been following since he was elected in 2013, was holding a launch party for the July election. Of course, I had to go to that too, but more about that over on the other blog. 




A big day of 'fieldwork' deserves a late lunch/early dinner at one of my favourite little spots in Ikebukuro.

Pics today on the iPhone 12 mini, and one of the political rally on the Canon EOS M5, 18-150mm lens.